The Newspaper of St. Stephen's Episcopal School

The Bell

The Bell

The Bell

New Developments in Dining

What’s new, what’s next — with Executive Chef Sean Crudo.
Andrew Pogue
Photo of Temple Dining Hall interior.

New Developments in the Dining Hall

Here are some of the many changes you’ll find in the dining hall this year:

• The dining hall now has a separate section for vegetarian food – an improvement made in response to the suggestion for better vegetarian food last year. Now there are more options to choose from for a vegetarian diet!
  • There are now many more kinds of coffee available, thanks to the new coffee machine installed in the dining hall. Various kinds of iced coffee are also served at breakfast and lunch. Obviously, the dining hall is attentive to students and faculty’s need for a cup of fresh iced coffee to start the hot, busy day!
  • It’s notable that the cafeteria now adds honey to the seasoning shelf. They are in cute bottles in the shape of a little bear. The honey is absolutely delicious!
  • A change in the food serving structure is that they now split a single line into two separate lines with food in order to make it faster for students to obtain their food without causing a super-long, chaotic line.
  • As for the fruit baskets near the entrance of the dining hall, the school now has fresh pears! They taste so good!
  • Also, the dining hall offers those colorful little gummy bears to put on top of your ice cream. They also have chocolate chips, crushed Oreo cookies, honey, creams, etc., to adorn your pancakes or ice cream! It’s the best to have hot pancakes in the morning before school!

Please remember to wipe your table after meals so that we can really make the dining hall staff’s work less stressful. Also, it may promise more free seating options in the future. Meanwhile, the Green Goblins Club is helping with taking care of compost at lunch. You can see members standing by the bins at lunch. If you wish to help out with composting, feel free to contact Ms. Murphy!

Staff Interview: Sean Crudo, Executive Chef

Sean Crudo, Executive Chef

What are some changes in the dining hall compared to last year?
There are many changes this year, we have several new recipes we’ve been trying and looking for feedback on. We’ve opened a 3rd and 4th line at lunch. We have new team members that we are excited to have join us including our New Senior Food Service Director, Liz Dorsett.

What will you guys do later this year or in the future?
More and more. There are some new concepts I would like to try and new stations and recipes. With me stepping into the Executive Chef position I look forward to more action stations1An action station is a session where cooks will perform an action such as cooking, mixing, chopping, etc. for other cooks in order to share specific skills they have learned. as well.

How do you and your workmates feel toward the dining hall working experience? If there’s a scale of 1-10, how would you rate your experience from very dissatisfied to extremely satisfied?
I won’t speak for the team, but with the additional help we’ve brought on and the new recipes we’re trying, I would put myself at an 8 or 9. One of my favorite action stations was a Meat Cookery, Educational Seasoning. We did a mock up butcher station and taught the community how to truss a roast. It was a lot of fun.

Is there anything you want to let students and faculties know or improve on?
We would love to get more feedback using the Touch of SAGE app. It’s a great way to learn more about what the community likes and dislikes.

About the Contributor
Michelle Lyu
Michelle Lyu, Editor
Michelle Lyu is a 12th-grade boarding student. Growing up in Shanghai, China, she has developed an interest for creative writing and nature exploration. She especially enjoys writing poems and short fictions that give lots of space for imagination. When Michelle's not working, you can find her listening to music, hiking, and trying out different kinds of drinks! Her dream is to travel around the world and make a journal about the places she has visited.