The Newspaper of St. Stephen's Episcopal School

The Bell

The Bell

The Bell

A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder Review

The must-read multimillion bestselling series!
THE MUST-READ MULTIMILLION BESTSELLING MYSTERY SERIES (Goodreads).

Murder. Suspense. Lies. A fast-paced plot and hands down one of the most addictive books there is out there. A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder by Holly Jackson is the perfect embodiment of a “bingeable” read; a thrilling page-turner mystery with enough twists and turns throughout each chapter to keep the reader glued to the page. Written through redacted interviews, articles, archived posts and clues hidden in the margins, this story truly feels like you’re solving the murder right alongside the characters. And while some readers tend to be more skeptical of the “hype” surrounding popular books, this one deserves all of its praise. AGGGTM has sat comfortably on both international bestseller and trending lists alike, solidifying its status as a must-read.  

The case had been closed for 5 years. But even so, Pip Fitz-Amobi never truly believed what all of Fairview had already accepted: that Sal Singh had murdered his perfect girlfriend, Andie Bell, and then overcome by guilt, committed suicide. Yet Andie’s body was never found and Pip can’t shake the feeling that there’s more to the story than meets the eye. Five years later and now a high school senior at Fairview, Pip decides to reinvestigate the unsolved case of Andie’s disappearance to uncover the truth of what really happened that night. As Pip digs deeper into the investigation, intent on proving Sal’s innocence, unsettling truths about her town begin to emerge—secrets that someone is desperately determined to keep buried. As every clue begins to raise more questions than answers, Pip reaches a chilling realization: if the true killer is still out there, how far will they go to keep Pip from discovering the truth? 

One of the most interesting and rewarding experiences in this book is how the author utilizes a style of investigative journalism to help Pip solve the mystery. The inclusion of text messages, log entries, Instagram posts, and maps helped add another unique layer to the storytelling. They were interactive, entertaining to read and were quite possibly my favorite aspect of the series!

On top of that, Jackson’s meticulous attention to detail is remarkably impressive, as every small piece of information serves a purpose in unraveling the mystery. With every chapter, the reader unearths something new. With every chapter, the finger is pointed at someone different, expanding Pip’s list of potential suspects. And all throughout there are numerous burning questions in your mind: Who truly killed Andie? Did she deserve her fate? Because the more we learn about her, the more it becomes apparent that she might not be the person everyone claims her to be. 

In summary, A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder by Holly Jackson is an unmissable YA mystery thriller that demands complete attention from start to finish. Whether enjoyed as a stand-alone or part of the series, AGGGTM offers an absorbing and captivating reading experience. I highly recommend, and if you end up enjoying it, the sequels won’t disappoint!

~ Happy reading!

Trigger Warnings:

While this book doesn’t provide any overly graphic details, it does touch on a lot of sensitive topics that are either portrayed or alluded to throughout the narrative. Content warnings include: drug abuse, alcohol, sexual references, blackmail, death, rape, and false imprisonment. 

About the Contributor
Julia Garcia
Julia Garcia, Editor
Julia Garcia, a 10th-grade day student from Austin, has always held a deep love for the written word, finding solace and inspiration in the pages of books and the art of storytelling. Whether it's crafting lines of poetry or meticulously honing her writing skills, writing has always held a special place in her heart. Her mind is always brimming with ideas and perspectives, most of which keep her awake until 3am, and she’s excited to be a part of The Bell, as it gives her the opportunity to explore her love of creative and analytical writing.